5 Quick Tips to Make Storage for Business More Efficient
Using self-storage for business is essential to the success of many businesses ranging in size and industry. In addition to providing you with extra space for supplies and inventory, self storage for business can help you improve your business’ efficiency by keeping your office space neater and more organised - and that’s just the start!
Before you start storing, here are 5 things to consider to make the process easier and more time-efficient.
1. Make a list of what you’d like to store & start looking for a facility that’s close to you.Before you do anything else, take the time to really evaluate your business premises and inventory. Once you’ve decided what you absolutely need (and don’t need) in the office, it’s time to start packing the essentials up for storage for business and getting rid of what you won’t be using again. Grouping the storage items you want stored together in the same boxes is a great way to stay organised and will help you select a storage unit that’s the right size too.
Additionally, when it comes to choosing your storage facility, it’s best to choose one that’s as close as possible so you can access your belongings whenever you need to without any fuss.
2. Organise and store all documents properly.If you’ve decided to store documents and paperwork, choosing the right types of storage boxes and packaging can make a huge difference. After organising all the documents you’d like to store, opt for sturdy cardboard boxes and include filler material to keep the documents from moving around if the boxes are moved. Packaging tape should be used to seal your document storage boxes (and your storage boxes in general).
3. Keep items that are regularly used at the front of the storage unit for easy access.Organising your storage unit so that the items you use most frequently are always kept in the front will save you a lot of time and effort every time you need to use them. You should be able to access them with ease and minimal disruption, and as frequently as you need to; keeping them at the very front of the storage unit is the best way to do so. Likewise, if you’re stacking boxes on top of eachother, place the oldest (and ideally, heaviest) items on the bottom and keep the newer ones at the top to avoid shifting boxes around when you need to retrieve them.
4. Label all boxes with the contents.Labelling all boxes is an absolute must! Every time you finish packing a box, make sure you label it with its contents before putting it into storage for business. Alternatively, you can number all your boxes and keep their contents on a spreadsheet for cross-checking when you need to know whats inside. Finding tools, furniture, documents and other bits and pieces will be a no-brainer if all your storage boxes are accounted for and their contents pre-labelled.
5. Always try to maximise space in the storage unit.Although you should have a pretty good idea of the general size of the storage unit you’ll need, maximising the space as much possible means you’ll be able to get more value for the cost of the unit and more incentive to declutter. If you’re storing furniture with drawers, consider cleaning out any unnecessary contents and filling them up with smaller storage items. Disassemble furniture where it’s easy to do so and remove any detachable parts to stack more efficiently, and aim to use appropriately sized boxes to store your items. Avoiding unnecessarily bulky storage boxes is one of the easiest ways you can maximise the space in your storage unit.
If you’re in need of storage for business, Rhodes Self Storage have got you covered!
Contact us today to see how we can help!
We are a family-owned self-storage facility providing services to the local community that ...