Electrical Switchboard Upgrade: Do I Have To Do It?
If you’re searching for a switchboard upgrade in Brisbane area and surrounds (Alderley, Ashgrove, Bardon, Enoggera, Paddington, The Gap), look no further than Allyn White Electrical.
What is an Electrical Switchboard?
It’s essentials to know what an electrical switchboard is.
Your switchboard is the ‘control panel’ of your home’s electrical wiring. If your switchboard is getting on in years, you need to consider upgrading it for the following important reasons:
• Short-circuits – older switchboard have a greater propensity to short-circuit, meaning that there is a risk of the fuses catching fire, or risk of electric shocks. If your current switchboard still uses replaceable wires on the fuses, it is a safety hazard and needs to be replaced.
• Insufficient power supply – our homes nowadays rely on many more appliances to run than they did in our parents’ day. With a reliance on computers, air conditioners, home theatres, microwave ovens, fitness equipment, pool pumps, stereos and more, it is essential that the switchboard is able to handle the amount of electricity required by the household. Indications of an insufficient power supply are: power tripping, flickering lights.
• Safety Switch – this gives you the ability to cut down or restore power when necessary, a feature not present on older switchboards. An electrical safety switch is a crucial feature of modern switchboards.
Why Do You Need To Upgrade Your Electrical Switchboard?
• Older style switchboards with ceramic rewire-able fuses are designed to cater for a couple of household appliances. When these fuse boxes were installed homes had a fridge, washing machine and oven. Modern houses have so many more appliances in use every day that the old switchboards are now potential fire hazards due to overloading.
• Because of this overburdening of the switchboards, these homes and businesses experience frequent power outs and tripping.
• If you have added an extension to your home or business the current electrical switchboard may need to be upgraded to cope with the added needs. Even if your extension has only added lights and a few extra power points this could be enough to exceed the switchboard limits.
• Renovations such as a kitchen or entertainment room could add extra stress to your electrical switchboard. Newer appliances and electrical equipment can draw more power and add to the demands of your fuse box.
• Often older electrical switchboards are not fitted with electrical safety switches.
• To reduce the risk of electrical fires.
A new switchboard installation has many more benefits, not the least being electrical safety.
What Is Involved In Upgrading A Switchboard?
When you have your switchboard upgraded you will have safety switches installed on all circuits for added personal safety. The circuit breakers will also need to be replaced with modern breakers that can handle heavier energy loads. Fuse boxes will be swapped out and thicker gauge wire that is more suited will be installed.
All of the work that we provide to your home in relation to switchboard upgrades will meet and exceed any and all Australian Standards.
When Do I Need To Upgrade My Switchboard?
There are some telltale signs that it might be time to upgrade your switchboard or could also mean that there are more underlying electrical issues in your home. It is always a good idea to have your switchboard as up to date as possible. Although some common signs are:
• Constant flickering of lights throughout the home
• Blowing fuses regularly
• Circuit breakers tripping regularly
• Electrical shock from switching lights on and power points
• Plugs that are plugged in getting hot
An upgrade of your switchboard is not a big investment for the sake of your family’s safety. To safeguard your family, make sure you don’t leave it too late to replace your ageing switchboard.
Recent Electrical Switchboard Upgrades by Allyn White Electrical
For a free quote by a licenced electrician call 0416 235 641 or simply complete the online enquiry form and we will call and arrange to quote your switchboard and electrical requirements. Our charge out rate remains the same during the week, weekends and after hours, so don't hesitate to contact us today!
sources: staticelectricsbrisbane.com.au, fallonsolutions.com.au
Allyn White is a licensed electrical contractor and electrician in Brisbane QLD. Allyn is ...