Taree Aquatic Club
Local Clubs - Taree, NSW
Taree Aquatic Club located in Taree provide its guests and members a wide range of services & facilities including bingo, dining, sailing, courtesy bus, Keno facilities, mooring facilities and more.
Taree Aquatic Club, or "The Sailo's" as it is known by locals, is the Manning Valley's premier hospitality venue situated on the banks of the glorious Manning River in Taree. The Club's bar and dining facilities feature a wonderful 180 degree vista of the river downstream towards Dumaresq Island and upstream towards the historic Martin Bridge.
As our name suggests our major activities centre on the river and we play host to sailing, powerboat racing, fishing and of course the sensational fireworks on New Years Eve as part of the Manning River Festival. All of these can be enjoyed from the comfort of the Club in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere with an emphasis on excellent dining, service with a smile and value for money.
Taree Aquatic Club was officially formed and affiliated with the Vaucluse Amateur Sailing Association in 1946, as the parent body was then called.
The first official home of the Manning River Vee-Ess Sailing Club was at the North Coast Steam Navigation Co's wharf shed, adjacent to the Martin Bridge.
In January 1947 the Vee-Jay Club was formed and was also housed in the wharf shed. Boat storage was then becoming a problem. In 1950 we decided to build a club shed at the foot of Macquarie Street. With the help of our bank which advanced us $600.00, we built the shed with voluntary labour. This clubhouse, when completed, served as our home for eight years.
In 1957 our increasing fleet numbers and membership indicated that again we would have to do something regarding a larger clubhouse. In 1958, after receiving a Conditional Club Licence and a loan from our bank, plus the sale of debentures, we commissioned our builder to go ahead and build the first section of the brick building that we occupy today. The building was completed in December 1958.
By 1962 it was obvious that further additions would be necessary in the near future. Planning and building commenced and they were officially opened on 8 November 1968 by Mr Bill Northam.
At this time it would be fitting, not to forget the great debt of gratitude the members of this Club owe to those early founders in 1945-46, who worked hard and willingly to make this Club what it is today, and especially we owe a great deal to the Ladies Auxiliary formed in those early days, who have been a tower of strength to the Club over the years.