Royal Victorian Motor Yacht Club
Local Clubs - Williamstown, VIC
Royal Victorian Motor Yacht Club located in Williamstown is one of the oldest Royal Motor Yacht Clubs in Australia, we encourage safe responsible boating and social community participation.
Royal Victorian Motor Yacht Club is open to boat owners and non-owners, and provides for both boating and social interests with particular emphasis on family and community involvement.
We encourage responsible boating and promote good boating courtesy. We are committed to fostering traditional skills in watercaft but are a progressive, dynamic Club with passionate members.
The RVMYC formed at a gathering at the Port Phillip Club Hotel in Flinders Street Melbourne, three doors from Young and Jacksons on 25 February 1904.
Present at this meeting were FM Linley, J McQuade, HBarker, C Atkins, E Huon, E James, C James, C Garner, L Garner, F Jackson, F Rayson, G Knott, B Lowther and Capt GM Strong.
It was resolved by these gentlemen to meet on 4 March for the purpose of forming a Motor Boat Club.
The Club was first called the Victorian Launch Club, this was later changed to the Victorian Motor Boat Club. The club met for some years at the hotel until new premises were acquired at a site near the present ferry terminal at Princess Bridge Wharf.
The Port Phillip Hotel served as our Clubrooms till 11 November 1913, when a discussion to have our own rooms at Princess Bridge was agreed.
It was resolved to request the City Council to grant us rooms in the vaults at Princess Walk. Number 6 vault was granted to the Club. The first monthly meeting at Princess Walk was held on 1 December, 1913.