Museum of Tropical Queensland
Tourism - Townsville, QLD
Museum of Tropical located at Townsville discover the natural and cultural heritage of North Queensland at the Museum of Tropical Queensland. Our exhibitions are entertaining and informative.
Museum of Tropical started in 2000, is the only branch of the Queensland Museum north of Brisbane situated in Flinders street in Townsville our iconic building looks across the Ross Creek in the City. We provide the most popular areas for kids, the Enchanted which aims at one of the North Queensland most iconic ecosystems, transporting visitors in the light and shade of tropical Queensland's rainforest environment.
We also host a set of visiting displays from other museums. This delivers fresh and engaging content that locals might not otherwise get a chance to see. We house the following research units of the Queensland Museum:
• Corals - we are known worldwide for the study of Great Barrier Reef and staghorn corals.
• Tropical Natural History - with a focus on the taxonomic study of the tropical biota of Queensland and Indo-Pacific region.
• Maritime Archaeology
• We deliver curriculum-linked education programs for primary and secondary schools.
• We develop specific education programs for tertiary institutions on request.
• We offer enticing public programs including monthly lectures and fun holiday programs.