Land of the Beardies Logo

Land of the Beardies

Corner West Ave and Ferguson St, GLEN INNES NSW 2370

3 ratings

29 Visits
  

Tourism - Glen Innes, NSW

Land of the Beardies based in Glen Innes is essentially a folk museum, our collection comes almost exclusively from the town and district.

The Glen Innes and District Historical Society negotiated the lease of the former the Glen Innes District Hospital building and eventually opened ‘The Land of the Beardies History House Museum’ on 24 January 1970 by Lieutenant Colonel Sir Michael Bruxner.

Commencing without any grants or funds, the society was grateful for several substantial donations to assist it in its inception. What it lacked in finance was made up by the willingness of its small band of members who turned up every weekend for the six months prior to the opening to work on setting up displays and turning what was a rundown, neglected building into a museum.

The committee today can be proud of what the early members achieved. Today there are over 10,000 items on display and the Research Centre has over 300,000 cards recording the history of this area. It is ongoing today. Donations for the collection are arriving weekly. The collection is local in nature in that all items have a history related to something, someone or somewhere in the local area. Our volunteers know many of the most interesting stories relating to the items and are happy to tell our visitors.

We are recording history as it happens and this will be passed on to future generations.

For more information, please call The Land of Beardies Historical Museum today.

(02) 6732 1035 Visit Website Reviews Report this page
Sign in with Email
Top4 - Made in Australia with Love
Stay In Touch