Bunbury Bowling Club
Bowling Clubs - Bunbury, WA
Bunbury Bowling Club is located at Bunbury provide BBQ, birthday parties, corporate functions, wedding receptions, indoor auctions and more.
The present Bunbury Bowling Club was started at a meeting in the Bunbury Ambulance Hall on 10th September 1947.
Local politician Fred Withers was delegated to negotiate with the Town Council for land on Forrest Avenue.
Three rinks were planted (to couch grass) and a small clubhouse was built of weatherboard with an iron roof. It had one small window and a door. In it were stored the tools required for the green and the ladies had a cutlery and crockery cupboard. The dining room was a bough shed (wooden framed roofed with boughs).
Tea was brewed over an open fire and a kerosene tin utilised for washing up, with water boiled in a copper.
Play commenced in 1947 - as there were just three rinks, play was one way only.
Wooden bowls were used and often when driving, the small disc controlling the bias would fall out, having to be stuck in again.