Bassendean Bowling Club
Bowling Clubs - Bassendean, WA
Bassendean Bowling Club is located at Bassendean and specialises in entertainment. Bassendean Bowling Club offer bowls, poker, darts and more.
The Bassendean Bowling Club was formed in 1934. Theirs was the first section completed on the Bassendean Improvement Committee (BIC) Reserve. The following are the minutes of the meeting, convened by Mr R. A. McDonald, Chairman of the Bassendean Roads Board, of gentlemen interested in the formation of a bowling club, held at the Bassendean Town Hall, on October 15th 1934.
Outside the pavilion of the Bassendean Bowling Club is the plaque or emblem of the club. There is quite a story behind the plaque. It was created by Miss G. A. South of Albany. It is a replica of the Broun family's Coat of Arms and the club's badge.
Peter Broun was the first Colonial Secretary in WA and in 1829 he took a grant of 5 000 acres which he named Bassendean and from which the town sprung up.
The Bassendean Bowling Club adopted the Broun Family's Coat of Arms as its club badge in order to pay its respects to Mr Peter Broun, the first colonial Secretary of WA, who founded Bassendean in 1829.
The Coat of Arms heraldic description is, "A Lion rampant holding in his dexter paw a fleur-de-lis." which is substituted by a kitty in the Bassendean Bowling Club badge.