Tips on Repairing your Storage Shed
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
Deciding whether to repair or to replace, however, is not that simple. It takes thorough inspection to find out the extent of the problem and a calculation of the possible expenses against the cost of putting up a new shed before a person can make the decision.
Examining the Extent of the Damage
There are different areas of the shed to check in order to assess the extent of its damage. Check the following areas:
• Foundation – Look for rot and moisture. You may have to pull away the skirt from the base of the shed or even lift it off the ground.
• Roof – Examine for missing panels or shingles.
• Interior walls and ceiling – Look for signs of water, moisture, warping, and swelling. If the shed is made of metal, look for rusts in the seams between panels and at the corners.
• Ants and termites – Look for insect infestation if the shed is made of wood.
• Lean or push against the shed from different areas to see any movement, shaking, or leans.
Repairing Shed Damages
The type of repair depends on the type of problem you found in the shed. Keep in mind that a minor problem could worsen into a major one so do not postpone the repair.
Rot and water damage are the most common problems of storage shed. The only way to fix the problem is to replace the damaged part, if doing so will not comprise the integrity of the structure. If the damage is extensive, you will be better off replacing your shed.
Metal sheds can acquire rust problems. If the rust patches are small, filing or sanding the rusted area and then sealing it can fix the problem. Extensive rust will require replacing entire panels or metal sheets.
Termites and ant infestations can cause damages to wooden storage sheds. If the damage is small, it can be fixed by replacing the impacted wooden piece or panel. However, if the damage is so extensive that the integrity of the structure is affected, it will be a better option to just tear it down and get a new shed.
Do not waste time, money, and effort repeatedly repairing a shed with extensive damages. Getting a new one might prove to be economical and less-time consuming.
If you find this article helpful or whether you're looking for a professional shed builder just contact the experienced builder in Australia today!