Storage Tips: What to do with the Things You Packed for a Move
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
Your moving date is far yet? But you already packed your things up either because you’re so excited to move or you just want to avoid the stress of rushing things? Here are some packing tips that will help you maximise storeroom space.
- Stack the heavier boxes below and the lighter items on top. Obviously, this helps prevent your boxes from toppling over.
- Keep things you’d most likely need near the front for quick access.
- Make an inventory list of everything you’ve stored in the unit and keep the list at home or somewhere safe.
- Create a layout or map of your storage room to know where particular things are located. This is helpful when you or someone in your family needs to find something.
- Make use of the entire vertical space. Keep uniformly sized boxes together so it will be easy to stack them up to the ceiling. Use big boxes for packing light objects and small boxes for heavy objects.
- Stack up chairs and knock-down tables and other furniture, if possible.
- Use dresser drawers or the tub of your washing machine to store items like clothes, bedding, and linens. Books and CDs can make good use of these spaces, too. Leave a little drawer opening to allow some air to circulate and prevent moisture problems.
- Organise your belongings in such a way that you create an aisle from the door all the way to the back of the unit. This helps you easily navigate through your towers of boxes.
- Elevate your boxes off the floor using pallets to guard against dampness.
- Don’t forget to label the boxes on all four sides. Write “Fragile” or “This Side Up” on boxes that must be handled with care.
- Store mattresses, sofas, and couches propped up on one end to save space. Cover them with plastic or blanket to keep dust away.
- If you’re storing any item made of metal, such as tools or bike, wipe a little machine oil to it to prevent rusting.
- It’s recommended to use self-storage when necessary. It’s an added expense, but when you’re smart, you pack your things right and keep them well organised, you’ll save more money and space.
As you plan your move, seek the help of the top removalists in Australia today.