How to Prevent & Stop Bad Breath Right Now
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
Halitosis is unpleasant. Luckily, much can be done to prevent it. If you’ve failed the breath test and people back away when you stop to chat, rely on these remedies from the herb garden to freshen your breath quickly.
You can’t usually tell if you have bad breath and people are often reluctant to point it out. An easy test is to hold cupped hands in front of your mouth, exhale into them and then move your hand quickly to your nose to check that exhaled breath.
- Use mouthwash regularly after brushing your teeth. Add two drops of chamomile, peppermint, clary sage or lemon balm oil to a glass of water and rinse your mouth with it, but avoid swallowing it.
- For morning breath, rinse your mouth with cider vinegar (1 teaspoon in a glass of water) as soon as you get out of bed.
- For continuing bad breath, chew fresh parsley or mint leaves – both will freshen breath in an instant.
- Mix together dill, anise and fennel seeds and chew a few of them occasionally.
- If stomach problems are what are causing your bad breath, you could try this old and trusted home remedy: chew coffee bean, which will neutralize the acid smell. But be sure to spit it out afterwards; don’t swallow it.
- Both apples and yogurt taste good, freshen your breath and provide a healthy snack.
- When you are on the go, suck on peppermint or eucalyptus sweets.
- If digestive disorders or gum disease are the cause of your halitosis, a visit to the doctor or dentist should provide a solution. Otherwise, brush regularly, and clean the spaces between your teeth with dental floss.
- Avoid smoking – this is a prime cause of halitosis.
- If you drink a lot of coffee (which can also cause bad breath), rinse your mouth frequently.
- Eat and drink on a regular basis – halitosis often occurs when your stomach is empty.
- People who eat yogurt regularly are less prone to halitosis than people who do not.
Quick tip: Gargle regularly with lemon water to avoid bad breath or dry mouth.
Anise Mouthwash Recipe:
- Bring 2 tablespoons of anise seeds to the boil in about 100ml water and leave to cool.
- Strain the mixture through a coffee filter and squeeze out the seeds.
- Mix the strained liquid with about 50ml vodka and about 50ml rosewater and pour the solution into a dark bottle.
- After brushing your teeth, add a dash of the anise mouthwash to a glass of water and use it to rinse out your mouth thoroughly.
Bad breath is a serious issue. Visit your dentist to address your dental health problems today.