How to Get Rid of Wrinkles Around Your Mouth
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
Wrinkles are bound to appear in different areas of the face in both men and women, but it's no secret that women are more prone to developing these because of their facial structure. It's also common for women to seek measures and treatments that would help to reduce the appearance of these wrinkles in order to achieve smooth, younger-looking skin even as they advance in years.
Some of the more noticeable facial wrinkles occur around the mouth and these can be caused by different factors such as genetics, age, smoking and exposure to the sun. There are three specific types of wrinkles around the mouth that you can watch out for:
Vertical lip lines. These are the wrinkles that are caused by common lip movements such as smiling and frowning, chewing gum, or pressing the lips together when drinking from a straw or smoking (cigarette smoke itself also contributes to the formation of these lines). It's also the result of frequently threading and waxing the upper lip. Unfortunately, the development of these lines is generally unavoidable.
Smile lines. Also called nasolabial lines, these are the lines that go from the bottom of the nose to both corners of the mouth. These are observed more often in women.
Marionette lines. These are the vertical wrinkles found in the corners of your mouth, making them look downturned. They can affect your appearance because the lines cause you to look sad, angry, or serious even when you are actually relaxed and happy.
If you're eager to find out how to get rid of wrinkles around mouth, you can turn to the following recommendations from skin and beauty experts:
· Eat foods rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants work well in fighting signs of ageing, like wrinkles. Load up on berries, carrots, tomatoes, whole grains, red grapes, broccoli, garlic and spinach. Vitamin C-rich vegetables and fruits also help promote improved skin elasticity and healthy skin.
Some dermatologists also recommend a diet rich in sticky vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, okra and taro since these are said to stimulate the production of hyaluronic acid that naturally keeps the skin plump and firm.
· Take fish oil supplements. Fatty fish and fish oil supplements are full of omega-3 fatty acids which are effective in reducing skin damage that can lead to wrinkles around the mouth.
· Exercise your facial muscles. You can try these exercises at home every day. Lift one side of your mouth and aim to form a half-smile on this side; you can then repeat it on the other side of the mouth. Alternatively, you can place your index fingers inside your mouth and then pull at both corners to stretch them up to around 1/4 of an inch. Tighten the muscles around your mouth as you are doing this, with the goal of pulling the index fingers closer together. You can repeat this exercise from 25 to 50 times.
· Visit a skin specialist. A skin specialist can recommend topical creams that would suit your individual needs:
- Creams such as retinoid and retinol help the deeper layers of the skin become thicker while the superficial layers become thinner; this helps smooth out marionette lines.
- Alpha-hydroxy acid, often available in lotion form, help soften wrinkles.
- Products with stem cells, growth factors, and peptides, on the other hand, help boost collagen in the skin for renewed elasticity.
If the lines and wrinkles around the mouth have become deeper or more permanent, there are treatments that can be considered:
- Laser therapy can minimise the appearance of wrinkles after only a few sessions — around two to three weeks.
- Another option you can consider is getting Botox injections which paralyse the muscles around the mouth and create results that last for about three to four months.
- Dermabrasion and chemical peels remove the topmost layer of skin to allow new skin to grow.
- Cosmetic fillers are also often recommended for smoothing out wrinkles around the mouth.
Eliminate wrinkles and achieve a more youthful appearance via health and beauty solutions from Eden Institute of Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery today.