How to Get Rid of Ants in Your Home
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
Ants are important to the environment and play a role in maintaining balance in the ecosystem, but they rapidly become pests when they attack your home. No one wants an ant attack – a colony can infiltrate into the smallest cracks of your storage and containers, contaminating your food, damaging clothes, books and property.
Getting rid of ants is difficult, and they have been known to withstand and survive even the harshest chemicals or the cleverest homemade elimination techniques. They continue to steadily search for food and shelter, invading your home in the process. In warm climates or rainy periods, ants can be seen all over the house, particularly in the kitchen and dining area.
Below are some ways to get rid of ants whether naturally or through chemicals:
1. Always keep the house clean. Keeping the home clean not only keeps it ants-free, but also makes your living spaces relaxing, refreshing and healthy.
2. Use adhesive tape by creating a moat, with the tape placed sticky side up.
3. Draw a line using a chalk at the entry point at home. This way, ants will be repelled by the calcium carbonate contained in chalks.
4. Ants are also repelled by flour. You may opt to sprinkle flour in areas of the house where ants survive. Since flour is non-toxic, this method is best for households with small children and pets.
5. Make your house unfriendly to ants. Any food particle can attract ants; hence you may choose to store your food in sealed containers. Always clean up after eating and food preparation, and wipe tables, counters and floors regularly. Also, remove plants that can attract ants. Reduce the cause of moisture in your home, such as condensation due to insulation issues and leaks.
6. One of the most effective ways to get rid of ants is to block them from entering your house in the first place. One way to do this is to invest in a good ant or insect repellent.
If all these still don’t work, it’s best to get help from the professionals.A local expert will be able to provide long-term solutions that are tailored to the needs of your household, the structure of your home and the climate in the area.
Ask for recommendations from friends, family and neighbours, or go online and read reviews and testimonials from previous clients. Call your local pest elimination services provider and get rid of your ants problem once and for all.