Home Cleaning Service: What and How to Choose
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
What are the services provided by cleaning companies?
The cleaning market (also called a "maid market") is made up of companies ranging from large national chains to small businesses. Some companies are specialised in cleaning houses and other only clean offices or industrial places.
Make sure the company will perform the key services you need. Request a list of what they will do, so you clarify upfront what is included and what is not. You can expect them to clean all surfaces of the home or the office (kitchen, bathrooms, living areas, bedrooms and the floors). This includes vacuuming, wet mopping, carpet cleaning, etc.
You can hire a cleaning company to come every week, month or only for a seasonal cleaning. Common extra household services include:
Choosing a Cleaning Company
With so many service providers in the market, deciding on a cleaning company is time-consuming but it will save you valuable time in the future. To avoid damage to your home and your possessions or even theft and give you peace of mind, it's worth choosing carefully a company. The individuals you engage will be coming to your home on a regular basis, so it's crucial that you feel comfortable with them.
Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind when choosing a cleaning company:
1. Do a self-assessment of your cleaning needs.
What has to be done, what is the expected result (is it a simple wipe over or a more rigorous cleaning), how often, within which time and which budget. Do you need to clean quickly all over the house every week or only tasks that you usually neglect (e.g.: bathroom)? Then draw up a list of specifications.
2. Organise an in-person meeting.
This discussion must help you to evaluate the character and attitude of the cleaning service's employees to make sure you are comfortable with them. Here are some of the questions you should cover during this meeting:
- What is included? Are extra services included? How much do they charge for extra services such as washing dishes, making beds or changing sheets?
- Can they work within your time schedule constraints?
- Do they perform re-employment screening and criminal background checks before hiring and how do they train their employees?
- Who will provide the cleaning materials? If they use their own products, ask them to give you a rundown of the cleaning materials and the method they plan to use on each surface, as well as the breakdown cost for using these products. So you will avoid that inexperienced cleaners cause damage to your property by using the wrong product, and you make sure the products suit your specific requirements (e.g.: environmentally-friendly products, some products which cause you allergies).
- How do they want to be paid? By the hour or by the job? Cash, check and major credit cards are generally accepted, and payment is often expected at the time of service.
- When and what guarantee you have in the event that the job is not what you expected? This information should be incorporated into the contract.
- What about their key security policy if you plan to give them a key or the code of security systems. It is obviously more convenient to give the company a key to your home or office if you are not sure to be there to open the door every day they come. Furthermore, most cleaning companies charge for missed appointments and local police departments charge for false alarms. Ask them where they keep the keys and who has access to them.
3. Check if the company has insurance.
Choose a cleaning company that has insurance to protect you and your home in case of damage to your property and injury to the house cleaners while they are working. Ask for a copy of their insurance certificate and check with the company if the employees are fully insured. Some companies carry also a third party Theft Bond Request.
Home Cleaning Services Pricing Guide and How to Cut Costs
Cleaning services are not a luxury anymore. The cost to clean your home depends on different factors, as the size of your property, the number of workers required, the tasks you want them to do and the frequency of cleaning.
Some companies base their pricing by the hour and others by the job. Hourly rates range often between $25 and $50 per hour and it takes almost 3 hours to clean a two bedroom, two bathroom home. Get multiple quotes to compare the different cleaning companies you are hesitating for.
If it’s still too expensive for you, you can try to minimise the cost of a cleaning service. The easiest way is obviously to reduce the cleaner’s workload: do a quick tidy-up and wash the dishes before the cleaners arrive so that they don’t spend the time to pick up clutter and do their job more quickly and efficiently. Ask the cleaner if he/she has useful ideas about saving precious time.
Consider working with the most trusted cleaning service providers in Australia today.