Habits That Will Improve Your Eyesight
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
Aside from eating healthy foods, there are certain things that you need to do in order for you to have clear eyesight. Here are the habits that you should adapt.
Smoking can lead to macular degeneration later in life, as well as cataracts. Find a support group to help you quit smoking or enlist the help of a psychiatrist who applies medical treatments to addiction.
Too much exposure to ultraviolet light can lead to macular degeneration and cataracts. Try to wear sunglasses whenever you go outdoors.
Reduce eye strain.
The muscles around your eyes can start to feel fatigued and painful if you strain them too much. Try these tricks to cut back on visual fatigue:
- Do the 20/20/20 trick. If your work involves staring at a computer screen for long periods of time, take a break every 20 minutes, and focus on a point 20 feet (6.1m) away for at least 20 seconds.
- Turn down brightness. If you're looking at a computer or television screen, turn down the brightness to the lowest possible level.
- Make text bigger. Use the zoom function to make the text you’re reading larger.
- Don’t forget to blink. We tend to blink very less while using computers or laptops. That induces dryness on the surface of the eye which sometimes causes irritation and burning sensation. The normal blink rate is around 12-15 times per minute. Try to maintain that while working.
Get some rest.
Do your eyes a favour by taking a break for from looking at the screen. Simply close your eyes for a minute or get up and walk around your office. Focus on something that isn’t a screen. Additionally, get around 8 hours of sleep at night.
Perform eye exercises.
Eye exercises are meant to strengthen the eyes and improve vision. Using eye exercises can even eliminate your need for contacts or glasses. Get a regular schedule of eye exercises and try to do them daily – this will help you get in the habit of performing exercises and also help you achieve better eyesight fast.
One example is the pencil push ups.
- Find a pencil, and mark it somewhere in the middle.
- Hold the pencil in front of your face, at arm's length.
- Focus your eyes on the mark you drew on the pencil.
- Slowly move the pencil toward your face, maintaining your focus on the same spot.
- Stop when you see two pencils.
- Look away for a few seconds or close your eyes.
- Look back at the pencil.
- Slowly move the pencil away from your face.
These tips, along with regular eye check-up, will help improve your eyesight and prevent potential eye diseases. See an ophthalmologist at one of these medical centres in Australia.