A Quick Guide to Choosing a Self Storage Unit
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
You already have an idea of the size of the self storage you want, but keep in mind that you are not just renting a storage unit that will fit your items, you want a storage unit wherein you can fit yourself inside with a little room to work. To know how to choose a storage unit size that fits your needs, take a list of all the items you plan to store. Also, think about your future needs. Are you adding items later on? If you consider adding those to your list, make sure that your space will accommodate your items now and in the future.
You should also consider the sizes and weights of the stuff you are storing. Some can be stacked on top of each other, while others may be too heavy or require their own space. One way to help with choosing a storage unit is by actually packing your stuff and stacking them together. Try using different boxes or containers to conclude out the most effective way to store everything.
To learn how to choose a storage unit size that works for you, here are some processes you need to consider when choosing a self storage unit.
• Make a list of all the items you plan to store.
• Name items you will need to access in storage.
• Measure and evaluate the collective packing size of the items you plan to store.
• Be sure that you have an extra space to provide ventilation.
• Reference these packing requirements with the storage unit sizes: small, medium and large storage units.
Before making a decision on which self storage unit you will choose, visit any self storage company near you and ask to see a unit that is the same size as the one you are considering.