5 Important Rules for Selecting Men's Clothing
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
The dream of most men when it comes to personal style is to be able to dress themselves right. Not overly flashy, and not carelessly put together — just right, so that they look appropriate for the occasion, the clothes fit their body well, and they feel comfortable throughout the day while wearing their chosen ensemble.
You don't need to have plenty of money to splurge on clothing pieces, nor do you need closets stuffed to overflowing with the latest style trends. With a simple approach to selecting good quality and versatile clothing, you can build an image as a smart dresser no matter where you go and whatever the occasion may be.
Here are five essential rules for men when it comes to picking out the right clothes.
1. Be thoughtful about your clothing choices and combinations. Some people may think that spending time thinking about the outfits you put together for the day can be a waste, especially since there are other responsibilities to think about. But dressing well is always a good demonstration of the value you place on your hygiene, appearance and posture, which are all key factors that come into play when you interact with other people in person.
Dressing right means that you take care of yourself and you put thought into the way you approach other people, situations, and challenges in life. Having a positive attitude about your appearance is the first step to building a simple style philosophy for yourself.
2. Understand your body and how different kinds of clothes fit you. You may be at your ideal weight, or maybe even a little over or under that desired figure. Regardless of how your body is built, though, you need to choose clothes that suit your body type and size well — or else have the clothing pieces altered or customised to fit you specifically. Shirts, coats, pants, and other clothing items will always look more flattering and fall on your body better when they’re in the appropriate size, so never pick out an oversized shirt or a tighter pair of pants thinking that it will look better. You're highly likely to look and feel uncomfortable when you wear the wrong size.
3. Pick pieces that can be mixed and matched. This is a fashion rule that applies to both men and women; it's always a smart and cost-efficient strategy to shop for clothes that can be paired with more than one other piece of clothing so that you can get the most use out of them. Some coats, for example, can be worn for corporate occasions, as well as less dressy events wherein they can be matched with jeans or more casual bottoms and shoes.
4. Buy the best quality clothing that your budget can afford. As previously mentioned, there's no need to go bankrupt just to have an impressive wardrobe. You can save up for a relatively pricey tailored suit, a good pair of jeans, shoes made of excellent leather, and shirts in a few different colours and styles; if they are indeed good quality items, they can last a long time, so you end up saving money in the long run, while looking good.
5. Simple and classic can always be elegant. There's no reason to put on a whole designer ensemble every time you step out of the house. Simply combining a plain white T-shirt with a pair of blue jeans can be a smart look if you dress it up with good shoes, a smart watch, and perhaps a pair of sunglasses if you'll be heading outdoors. A crisp tailored suit in neutral or classic colours or a tuxedo for formal occasions can practically last your lifetime if you care for them well. Simple, classic styles will look good even as the years pass, and you won't have to constantly upgrade your closet every time a new style comes out.