Approval Process of Granny Flats

Approval Process of Granny Flats


The basic definition of a granny flat is a separate residential dwelling or an extra self-contained unit within the premises of your main home. There are three types of granny flats that people build. The first is a conversion, which is merely the conversion of a spare or unused room. The second is an extension, which is a granny flat close to your main house but is also the extension of your premises. The third is a detached granny flat, which is a separate little home further away from the location of your house.

There are rules and regulations that need to be followed while building or investing in a granny flat. Some regulations vary according to the state and country, but mostly in Australia, the same regulations apply in all states.

  • The first regulation is that the granny flats can only be built on residential property.

  • In most areas, the building of only one granny flat is allowed in Australia.

  • If the granny flat is built as an extension, then the ownership should belong to the main house owner.

  • As a rule, the granny flats should not take up more space than what is allowed for the main house.

  • Granny flats cannot be built on community or strata divided properties.

  • The standard size for granny flats is about 60 square meters of main accommodation area and approximately 12 square meters allotted for the veranda or patio.

If the granny flats observe these above-mentioned regulations, the approval process can be quick. The approvals have escalated to 80 percent over the past one year and it is mainly due to people looking for housing affordability in their preferred locations. The approval process generally takes ten days. Delays can occur in cases where other formalities need to be observed.

The first step is to get a DA (Development Authority) application approval or a Complying Development Certificate. Getting a DA approval may take a month at times, so it is necessary to start the process months in advance. Apart from getting a Complying Development Certificate, it is required that you get a section 149 part certificate, a sewer service diagram (SSD), and a deposited plan (DP). A section 148 certificate costs around fifty dollars and can be obtained in ten days. It verifies if the property is fire or flood prone and takes care of other details that are essential to consider before purchasing or developing a property.

Sewer Diagram indicates if there are sewer pipes near a granny flat, it is important to know this beforehand, especially when constructing a new granny flat and may help prevent future problems. Development plan simply observes the presence of restrictions to construct new granny flats. DA can be obtained online as well and costs around thirteen dollars at most.

The council approval is mandatory in all aspects before the commencement of construction. A BASIX certificate is required to observe if the new building will be energy resourceful, and is part of the general planning process. All these certificates constitute the approval process and take a few weeks each before the final approval is handed out to the builders or owners.

Looking for an environmental consultant that can help you in BASIX Certificates for Granny Flats? Contact Frys Energywise today!


#BASIX Certificates
#Granny Flat
#Environmental Consultant
Sign in with Email
Top4 - Made in Australia with Love
Stay In Touch