Restaurants - Fortitude Valley, QLD
The SUBWAY® restaurant chain is the world's largest submarine sandwich franchise, with more than 40,000 locations in 100 countries.
• Back in 1965, 17-year-old high school graduate Fred DeLuca was searching for a way to help pay for his university education, when a family friend in Bridgeport, Connecticut suggested he open a submarine sandwich shop. With a loan of $1,000, the friend—Dr. Peter Buck—offered to become Fred’s partner, and a business relationship was forged that would change the landscape of the fast food industry.
• The first store was opened in Bridgeport, Connecticut in August, 1965. The first year was a challenge and a learning experience for the young entrepreneurs. They opened their second location a year later and soon realised that marketing and visibility were the key factors to the success of their business. The third outlet was in a highly visible location and it’s still serving sandwiches today. The name was shortened from ‘Pete’s Super Submarines’ to SUBWAY® and the familiar bright yellow logo was introduced.
• Then, they set a goal of having 32 stores opened in 10 years. Fred soon learned the basics of running a business, as well as the importance of serving a well-made, high quality product, providing excellent customer service, keeping operating costs low and finding great locations.
• By 1974, the duo owned and operated 16 submarine sandwich shops throughout Connecticut, and in an effort to reach these goals, they began franchising, launching the SUBWAY® brand into a period of remarkable growth which continues to this day.
• Today, the SUBWAY® brand is the world’s largest submarine sandwich chain with over 44,000 stores in over 100 countries around the world.
• The first SUBWAY® restaurant in Australia opened in the city of Perth in June 1988.
• Australia has over 1400 SUBWAY stores all owned and operated by franchisees.