Riley St Garage
Restaurants - Woolloomooloo, NSW
Riley Street Garage at Sydney, was once a full service garage, now a full service restaurant and bar. Sleek, refurbished garage serving Modern Australian food, plus raw seafood, clever oyster plates.
Construction began on the new drive yourself depot on this site in September 1934. When completed, it incorporated a garage, machine shop, car wash, offices, staff rooms and service station.
This site was originally part of the Riley Estate and also part of lands granted to John Palmer on the 25th of February 1793. The site comprised two dwellings (probably terraces) from the mid-19th century. The dwellings were demolished in 1931 and the site remained vacant until 1934 when the two lots were purchased by Drive Yourself Lessey’s Ltd for their new car hire depot. It was designed by E.B Wilshire in the Art Deco style, with Wunderlich colortex brick and textured cement render, and ornate steel awning over the Riley Street façade, lending a sense of contemporary glamour to the otherwise utilitarian facility.
Services - Takes Reservations, Walk-Ins Welcome, Good For Groups and Waiter Service
Specialities - Lunch, Dinner and Drinks