Mornington Golf Club
Golf Clubs - Mornington, VIC
Mornington Golf Club located in Mornington is open to members & visitors for Golf, Events, Conferences, Weddings & Corporate Golf. Located on the cliffs overlooking Port Phillip Bay
Mornington Golf Club started its life on a tract of land named Cook’s paddock behind the current Tanti Hotel (on Nepean Highway) and stretched from the old railway to Beleura Hill Road. It was moved to the Mornington Racecourse in 1925 until after the Military took occupancy of the Racecourse, obviously creating difficulties for play.
1941 saw the committee of the day negotiate for the Mornington members to play on a 9 hole private course at The Dava Lodge Guesthouse on the corner of Dava Drive and the Esplanade. In 1946 a lease was taken out from Sir George Tallis for 110-120 acres to create a golf course. As with all projects such as this there were difficult times, especially so soon after the war, but the first 9 holes were opened with much fanfare on Saturday 29th April 1950.
The other 9 holes were opened not long afterwards. The site, later purchased from the Tallis family, occupies one of the most spectacular positions high on the clifftops of Port Phillip Bay overlooking Mornington Harbour and around the bay from the You Yang’s, the City of Melbourne and the Dandenong’s.