Monash Country Club
Local Clubs - Ingleside, NSW
Monash Country Club located in Ingleside provides its guests and members a wide range of services and facilities including function areas, corporate golf, pro shop and many more.
Monash Country Club, situated high on the hills above Narrabeen, is approximately 21 kilometres (as the crow flies) from the Sydney GPO.
Monash Country Club, named after Lieutenant General Sir John Monash, one of Australia's greatest soldiers, started out as a Jewish Social Golf Club. The original members played their events on a number of different golf courses, such as Ashlar at Blacktown, Bonnie Doon, Kogarah, Moore Park, Eastlakes, New Brighton and St Michael's. At St Michael's a small temporary clubhouse was provided.
In 1946 the decision was taken to build their own course. It was no longer to be a Jewish golf club, but a club anyone could join, irrespective of his or her faith, provided they met the entrance requirements of the Membership Committee. The name was changed from Monash Golf Club to Monash Country Club. A property was found at Elanora Heights. An agreement was drawn up for Monash Country Club to lease the property from Monash Holdings Limited.
Towards the end of 1947, the bulldozers went to work clearing the property in readiness for the actual work of building the course. As far as the clubhouse was concerned, an 80ft x 20ft hut was bought from the Air Force as a temporary measure and plans were implemented to build a clubhouse that would be in keeping with the golf course itself.
In 1950 the first 9 holes were opened for play, and in 1952 the Clubhouse was finished. In December 1957, disaster hit Monash when a bush fire completely gutted the Clubhouse. On top of this, the Club was suffering from one of the worst droughts in history. New plans were drawn up, and a much bigger and more luxurious Clubhouse was built in 1959, and the Club was then raised to Group 1 status by the New South Wales Golf Association.
Since that time various improvements have been made to the Clubhouse, which culminated in the completion of major extensions in February 1992.
The Clubhouse facilities and golf course are constantly being reviewed to provide first class amenities for the Members.