Manly Rugby Union Club
Local Clubs - Manly, NSW
Manly Rugby Union Club is located at Manly and compete in the Shute Shield.
Whilst the Manly District Rugby Union Football Club (Manly DRUFC) was formed in 1906, records have shown rugby was played in Manly prior to this - in 1883 the Manly Beach Football Club advertised in newspapers of its existence and that its home ground was Ivanhoe Park.
Manly council purchased Ivanhoe Park on 17th December 1883 and ultimately it became known as Manly Oval in the 1890s (or colloquially known as the Village Green).
In 1884 “Beach” was dropped and it became Manly Football Club. In 1892 two other rugby clubs were formed: the Manly Waratahs (the Manly cricket club still uses this name) and the Manly Federals Football Club. The Waratahs only lasted a few seasons.