Inverell Golf Club
Local Clubs - Inverell, NSW
Inverell Golf Club located in Inverell offers in different Course to play golf.
The game of Golf in Inverell Golf Club had its early origins at the start of the 20th Century. Six holes were located on what is now Lion’s Park, along the banks of the Macintyre River.
In May 1907, the Inverell Golf Club was founded, with election of the first office bearers. A shed was erected to serve as a Clubhouse, and was originally located close to the present entry gates of Lion’s Park. The shed was subsequently removed to ‘Ryan’s Paddock’, the current location of the Golf Course. The actual shed is still in use, and forms part of the Greenkeeper’s workshop.
The official opening of the new Course took place on 29th August 1925. Records indicate that the Inverell Golf Club had a membership of 90 at that time. The original site was already generally clear of excess trees and roughage, and Members soon proceeded to clean excess grass, add sand to the Greens, formed bunkers and Tees, and from there the game progressed.
In 1927 the Inverell Golf Club made application to the Lands Department for permission to lease part of the current Top Nine, totaling 95 acres. It was soon decided that the leased lands were not sufficient for a full nine holes, and negotiations were entered with the Pastures Protection Board and Bannockburn Shire for the acquisition of a further 21 acres, being the current 7th, 8th, 9th holes, as well as the present Clubhouse site. This acquisition, for 80 pounds, was subject to a Contract of Sale dated 13/12/28 and a Transfer of Land dated 11/6/36. During this time, Members and Contractors went about clearing the land, which was heavily timbered and contained huge stone masses.