Coraki Golf Club
Local Clubs - Coraki, NSW
Coraki Golf Club located in Coraki provides its guests and members a wide range of services and facilities including club house, bistro, poker, junior golf, social golf and many more.
The Coraki Golf Club lies in the heart of the Richmond River Valley in Northern New South Wales and was formed in 1926.
The original course was carved from thick Ti-trees around the old Coraki Showground and the greens were sand and were individually fenced around to prevent damage from cattle.
This area was also the village common where locals kept their livestock as a large water hole could be found on the course (near the present 8th green).It was not unusual for member to carry a shot gun so as to bag a duck or two on the way round the course.
As the course developed J. Nardi was authorised by the committee to scythe the grass for seed.
In 1958, after the showground became defunct, N. Lawrie, the local Shire Engineer with a willing band of workers cleared, levelled, blew out tree stumps, designed and constructed the course as it is at the present.
The course was fenced which allowed the greens to be planted with grass as one enthusiastic Club Member was allotted a green and it was his duty to top dress, weed, mow and keep it in good condition as the greens were planted with Queensland Blue Couch.
At present the sweeping undulating fairways make for very pleasant and relaxed walking and a tree planting programme of slash pine, bottle brush with eucalyptus trees along the fairways and in strategic clumps have helped make the course which is 6045 metres long a very demanding one.