Ashfield RSL Club
Local Clubs - Ashfield, NSW
Ashfield RSL Club is the place to be when grabbing a quick cold beer at the Casino Bar, or a dinner in Lucky Buffet Restaurant or experience the great catering services in one of our Function Rooms.
In 1918 some of the local men returning from World War I banded together and began holding meetings in a building situated on the open air skating rink in Liverpool Road, Ashfield, where the Ashfield public school now stands.
As the members attending these meetings grew, it was necessary to find larger accommodation.
The members of the School of Arts offered a room above the Library and the meetings were held there until 1945.
As men returned from World War II, the membership increased further and the School of Arts room became too small for further meetings.
Over the years, funds had been raised and the purchase of a building of their own was possible with some help from the bank. Therefore the first stage of our present building was completed in 1955.
On the 12th march 1955, an official opening ceremony was held and the new building began occupancy.
Later in 1955, the Ashfield Sub-Branch Club was officially formed and an application for a Club license was made and later granted by the Licensing Court. The first licensee was George Constable.
By 1958 it became apparent that the current premises were too small once again, so plans were drawn up and with the aid of a bank loan and a loan of $40,000 from Sub-Branch savings, extensions were completed and officially opened on 3rd February, 1962.
On 14th November, 1972, the Club was incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee.
In 1981 major extensions were completed and the addition of a Bistro, Dinning Room and new Foyer, again improved trading.
Further renovations were completed in 1990, in 1992 and again in 2011, when extensions were made to the rear or southern side of the premises, and the addition of a new alfresco gaming and smoking area, thus resulting in today’s modern and attractive club.