Garage Door Service Do's and Don'ts
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
Most people think that a garage door is a 'set and forget' deal — but that’s not so... unless you want to replace your motor, or even replace the entire door, far earlier than you expected. Delta Warringah Garage Doors has been building, installing and maintaining garage doors in Sydney for more than 40 years and they know the best ways to get a long, happy life out of your automatic garage doors.
Typical automatic garage doors these days are slightly more complicated than you probably grew up with — but they look far better and are easier to use. Treat your garage door like how you treat your car with a regular service (which you can do yourself or have Delta Warringah Garage Doors do) and your door will give you much more years of reliable service. Most garage doors in the present times get quite a heavy workout with mum, dad, and the teenage drivers in the family who are using them several times a day. Good servicing will keep your garage doors in their tip top condition. Just like your car, your garage door needs to be oiled and lubed, bolts need to be tightened and load bearing metal parts need to be checked for rust and corrosion — particularly in salty climes. Most importantly, your springs will need to be re-tensioned regularly to ensure that they do the lifting, not your electric motor.
Here are some handyman tips that will help you get the most out of your garage door.
1. Wash your doors once every 14 days — especially if you're in a salty location or near industrial areas.
2. Clean your guide tracks using a clean cloth and some turps. (Don't lube them.)
3. Steel hinges: Use a light oiling for the wheel to axle bearings.
4. Springs: Wipe lightly with an oily cloth.
5. Fasteners: Check all bolts, screws, and nuts and tighten where it may be required.
These are the things that you shouldn't do.
1. Don't re-tension springs yourself. It's the job of the experts, who will make sure both sides carry the same load.
2. Lifting cables: If you see corrosion, they need to be replaced by the experts.
If you live in Sydney (Eastern Suburbs, Northern Beaches, Upper and Lower North Shore or Central Coast) and would like advice on garage door service, why not call or send an email to Delta Warringah Garage Doors? You can also find more information about their products here.