Garage Door Features You Should Consider
View more related buyers guides
Published by TOP4 Team
Choosing the right garage door can add beauty and functionality to your home. If you're in the market for a garage door, here are a few important factors that you need to consider.
In choosing a garage door, you need to find a design that complements the exterior of your home. Some homeowners who wish to add a dash of personality to their garage doors utilise window panels. Panel designs are classified into four types: carriage house, flush, long raised and short raised.
After settling upon a particular design, you need to take the measurements for your garage door, including the height, thickness and width.
Garage doors can be broadly classified, in terms of construction, as either wood or steel garage doors.
- Wood garage doors are similar to the ornate style of carriage houses which were popular in the 19th century. In choosing among wood garage doors, your options include the species of the wood used, and whether to opt for stain grade or paint.
- Steel garage doors are among the most popular in the market today. Because of the wide range of colours available, they are deemed to be the most versatile in terms of matching the design of the home's interiors.
These garage doors are available in three layers: single, double and triple.
- Single layer doors are constructed using a single sheet of galvanised sheet.
- Double layer garage doors use galvanised steel for the exterior and another layer made out of polyurethane or polystyrene for the interior. This additional layer provides sound proofing and extra insulation.
- Triple layer doors also have a single layer of galvanised steel for the exterior, another layer of polystyrene or polyurethane, and another additional layer of steel.
Accessories can further add both beauty and function to your garage doors. Hardware like hinge and handle sets, for example, can allow you to further customise the look of your garage doors. Home automation systems, on the other hand, can provide both convenience and security.
Garages can be used to extend the home's living space. If you're keen on using the garage as a workshop, a play area, a laundry area, or for any other function, it's worthwhile to consider other features like insulation, weather seals and bottom seal or threshold when shopping for a garage door.
If you're shopping for garage doors, go to the top garage door manufacturers in Australia today.